Sunday, January 18, 2015



Mark 10:13-16 (January 18, 2015, 8:14 pm)
Blessing the Children




And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not prevent them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it. Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them.
 


Children are considered the wealth of a nation. To them, we leave all the things we have accumulated, collected and treasured- they are our successors. Now, their opinions and views are very important, and there are times that their declarations enlightened and opened our minds to certain things we have probably neglected due to its simplicity.
However, children in this verse were disregarded. Why is that the disciples rebuked the people who brought them? Nowadays, children, as I have said earlier have a special position in the society, their opinions can be voiced out publicly, unlike in the time of Jesus were children as I would like to quote "children were to be seen but not to be heard in public". Since children in those years were like ornaments for their parents, the disciples probably think that allowing the children to be touched by the Lord would interrupt His works, that they are just mere children, insignificant to the eyes of the adults. However, this attitude of the disciples angered Jesus. Why? In the ancient times, giving attention and seeking the children is very uncommon, but the Lord publicly cares for the children. Not only cared but also blessed and considered them as living model for the people who have the desire to reach the Kingdom of the Lord.
In this verse, I would like to emphasize "indignant", meaning "feeling or showing anger because of something that is unfair or wrong." Jesus was very indignant towards the actions committed by his disciples because He has always said that there is no one who is insignificant to the eyes of the Father. Everyone has a place in His heart, everyone has a story to share, especially the children. As what is written in Mt. 18:1-5:
Who is the greatest?
"At that time the disciples came to Jesus saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven? Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever, receives one little child like this in My name receives Me."
Here enters the role of children as a model of humility - childlike humility, in particular. The Lord wanted to remind us that we have to become like a child, not becoming childish. It's not about the age, you see, it is about the virtues and the attitudes we have, we have to be childlike. What do we mean by becoming childlike? It's an act of humble dependence to your Master, showing vulnerability and abundant faithfulness-an expression of humility.
Many people mistake humility for weakness and I am one of those many people. For I always thought that stepping down or being last is an act of a loser, but now I understand that begging or being in the receiving end, is not bad at all. Others said you will only learn complete humble dependence when you are in grave danger, or when you have acquired an illness, and or when you have nowhere to go because I think it applies for me. I learned humble dependence during those times of inner darkness. When loneliness and regret corrupted all your happy memories that is when you really needed humility. However, humility is a hard virtue to attain, that's why we have the children as our models. Learn to have childlike humility for in this lifetime, that's the most important aim.

I sing to thee
Entrust me, childlike humility
I look up to you, and you uncover the child in me
Your Kingdom, Lord, it's where I want to be

I pray to you
For I wish mercy and compassion too
I know you'll listen, I know you'll do
For there is no one who is insignificant to you


No comments:

Post a Comment